Saturday, August 16, 2008

One Night of Fashion

My friend Melissa took me on a date. The night started with drinks at Joey's (where I got smashed on a cranberry and seltzer water -- the Erica special) and then we walked in our heels to the South Lake Union Marina where the fashion show was held. The night started out somewhat embarrassing. Everyone was dressed in their finest cocktail dresses, and I of course was in jeans. Then there was a red carpet -- which we couldn't stop laughting about -- and the lady that was in charge of the show kept screaming at the top of her lungs, "there's a celebrity here!" And let me just add that no one knew who that person was, I asked around. To make things worse, we thought the show started at 7, but really it didn't start until 9. In the mean time we also found out that our tickets were standing room only...and we were in heels!

The night consisted of all the little boutiques around the city having their own segment to show clothes that they sell in their stores. And although it was not Bryant Park, it was fun and I had a good time hanging out with my friend that I don't see too often due to our busy schedules. With some luck, we actually ended up seeing some empty chairs and got to sit through the show....thank goodness!


One of the models strutting her stuff.

One of the segments of the show was called "Seamless in Seattle" and I guess it was a little like Project Runway for local designers. All the finalists got to show their line and then they announced the winner. The picture below is not the winner, but I feel like he was well deserving of the title. His clothes were constructed so well and although it is was very avant-garde and commercially inaccessible, I thought it was very creative. In my opion, if you can take something so weird and construct it to look good, then you can make a simple black cocktail dress as well.



Overall, I had a great time and got to check one thing off my life's list. Thank you, Melissa!

No comments: