Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Lion King



I got a phone call from Ezra's mom on Thursday morning, and she explained to me that they had an extra ticket to The Lion King and wondered if either Tyler or myself wanted to go. Immediately I was excited because (1)I had been wanting to see it for sometime now and had debated buying tickets, (2)Tyler had a night class that evening so I was going to be bored, and (3)I am a musical fanatic....need I say more!?! My excitement was soon followed by sadness as she explained that it was supposed to be Ezra's ticket for the show.

The show was fantastic. The music, costumes, and choreography were just amazing but the part that touched me the most was the story. I have seen The Lion King several times and we do own the movie (yes, I get suckered into buying all the Disney movies before they hit the "vault"), but I don't really think I fully understood the story until now. I love the metaphors used to portray good vs. evil and the message of "the circle of life." But the part that made me the most emotional was the conversation between Mufasa and Simba. Mufasa is trying to explain to Simba that he will not be on earth forever, but he will always be there watching over him. I sat there in my seat just bawling my eyes out and then I thought to myself, "If I am a mess I can only imagine how this family feels." And I hope they find comfort in knowing Ezra will always be watching over them.

Overall, I had a spectacular time and think the Shermans did too. And though I know that they could have called any one of the 500+ people that love them and Ezra and attended the funeral one week prior, I am really grateful that they called me. Because there wasn't anywhere else I would have rather been.

5 comments:

E.F.G. said...

love this post.
love the lion king.
love the new clover picture.

Ashley C. said...

what a beautiful post. i am so glad that you were able to go. thinking about you guys.

Heidi Louise said...

I saw Lion King in New York. I have to say it wasn't all I expected. I too loved the costumes though! I'm happy that you got to go. Any musical is a good time.

Shay said...

Just reading this made me bawl like a baby. I'm glad they invited you! The Lion King would be amazing to see.

Ezra sounds like he was such a special and awesome kid. I wish his family the best and pray they continue to stay strong.

RETTJ16 said...

cool header picture!!