Aaron and I attended the annual KEXP bbq this weekend to take in an afternoon of music. Included in the lineup were Blue Scholars, The Blakes, The Cave Singers, Cloud Cult, and the band we were most excited to see, Pela. Pela is from Brooklyn and their debut album, Anytown Graffiti, has been one of my three favorite releases so far this year (along with new albums from Arcade Fire and The National, respectively). I had been anticipating this show for some time now and this anticipation was only compounded by some very favorable buzz I read about their live shows on a couple of music blogs. I could go on an on about how amazing they were, but in short, I'll just say that they absolutely killed it. Aaron and I were stunned by how tight and fluid their sound was and they were quite possibly 10x better than any other band that played at the show.

I landed a drumstick their drummer Tom fired into the crowd (thanks to Aaron)

Me and Billy, lead singer of Pela

Aaron with Andrea Zollo of the legendary (but now defunct) Pretty Girls Make Graves

Pela rocks the stage

Billy belts out another song

The Cave Singers with Andrea accompanying for one song

Cloud Cult

The Blue Scholars
6 comments:
Too bad I am in California this weekend. I would love to check out Pela in NYC at the bowery on 8/28. I will catch them next time.
G, I would consider bailing on the CA trip because that show at the Bowery is going to be ridiculous.
Hendersons - I am glad to see you are keeping up on your blog...you'er making me proud!
So, the Henderson Family has a blog! I found it through Kilgore's. Very cool to see a bit of your awesome Seattle life! We love you guys!
Hey Kysha. We saw your blog, which we also didn't know about, on someone else's page (can't remember who at this point). But you have been added here ;)
TYLER, If it isn't one of my most favorite peeps ever! I am so excited that you found our blog and that you have one of your own. Your comment seriously made my day!
About the reunion, there were very few people that Jake wanted to be there (or that I wanted to see for that matter). Needless to say we were both very disappointed at your no show. It just wasn't the same without you.
Looks like life is treating you right. If you get the itch, we are meeting Jane and Wendy in San Fran in a couple of weeks (Jane's Jake has a tourney). You could always drive down and meet up!
Post a Comment